Friday, March 15, 2013

Bunny Alert!! Bunny Alert!!

Last night we had some great excitement at our house last night.  Jacob's Rabbit, Carmel, had 6 baby bunnies last night.  Going into this week I wasn't even sure if she was pregnant or not. 

This was an amazing learning experience for the kids and I.  Now I know what to look for and what to expect.  I'm so glad she had them in the evening when we were around and not in the middle of the workday or night.

When I came home from work yesterday I noticed that she was putting straw in the nest box.  I went out and got her a armful of straw.  She immediately took mouthfuls of straw into the nest box.  She made several trips and was very determined.  Then she began to pull hair for the nest.  Most of the hair came from her dewlap.  I have to say it was completely fascinating.

 
 
 

 
Before long she was in the nesting box and she gave birth.  It was extremely quick and she was perfectly quiet.  I'm not sure what I was expecting but she was great.  You could tell she knew exactly what to do.  She didn't have a mom to call for advice or a book to look something up in.  She just knew and I think that is AMAZING!!
 



 
 
Now... hopefully she'll continue to take care of these amazing little babies.  I will post more pictures as they grow and get bigger.  Watch for updates!!

No comments:

Post a Comment